|North Midlands Division Road Race Championship|
NEWCOMER Mark Lovatt led a clean sweep for Optimum Performance RT over a 90-mile course at Edlington, near Doncaster.
Lovatt, the Cheshire international who was riding the North Midlands title race for the first time, outsprinted South Yorkshire-based team-mates Kevin Dawson and Wayne Randle at the end of 11 laps.
Lovatt had forced the winning move when he attacked the leading group on the seventh of 11 laps and only Dawson, Randle and Martin Pitchford (Dinnington RC) could stay with him.
Three chasers, including Dinnington's defending champion Neil Martin, got to within 100 yards of the leaders but could not close the gap, and Lovatt put in another attack on the main climb going into Edlington on the penultimate lap to make certain of victory as Pitchford also lost contact.
Dawson, the BBAR who is also a first-category roadman, led out at the yellow flag but Lovatt came past him to take the title.
1. Mark Lovatt (Optimum Performance RT) 90m in 3-35-00
2. K. Dawson (Optimum Performance RT)
3. W. Randle (Optimum Performance RT) all st
4. M. Pitchford (Dinnington RC) at 2-20
5. P. Curran (Optimum Performance RT) at 2-30
6. N. Martin (Dinnington RC) st
7. K. Brennan (Maltby CC) at 2-35
8. S. Bennett (Maltby CC) at 9-18
9. C. Hudson (Chesterfield Coureurs) at 10-24
10. M. Maltby (Dinnington RC) at 10-50.