Star Trophy - Tour of the Peak
ALAN GORNALL (GS Strada), bitterly disappointed at being left out of Britain's world championship team, underlined his claim with a decisive win in yesterday's 91-mile Lowther-Supagasmart Tour of the Peaks from Buxton.
Gornall, winner of the opening round of the season long Star Trophy road race competition in March, moved back up to third place overall with a 45 seconds solo win in the final round.
Paul Curran (Manchester Wheelers), the Olympic track rider who has led the Star Trophy since June, capped an excellent season on the road when he beat Cayn Theakston (Hull Thursday RC) in the sprint for second place, consolidating his overall lead over John Tonks.
1. ALAN GORNALL (GS Strada-Austins Steel) 91m in 4-5-23
2. P. Curran (Manchester Wh) at 45sec
3. C. Theakston (Hull Thursday RC) st
4. J. Clay (Leeds RRC) at 1-15
5. J. Tonks (Penn CC) at 2-43
6. P. Longbottom (Manchester Wh)
7. M. Reed (Ribble Valley CRC)
8. B. Luckwell (Team Zoyland)
9. M. Young (Chesterfield Coureurs)
10. D. Webster (Manchester Wh), all st.