|Roxby Wheelers Spring Road Race|
IN-FORM Paul Curran (Manchester Wheelers-Trumanns Steel) won the Roxby Wheelers Whitby Spring road race in a sprint finish with Dean Norton (Paragon RT) after the pair had broken away in the closing stages of the 70-mile race.
The race was lively from the start, despite the presence of a 1-in-4 hill just two miles after the start, and it was on this section that the field split into two groups.
After 30 miles the break was over and the field stayed together until it reached the 10-mile finishing lap based on winding country roads.
Curran, Young, Cooke and Norton broke away, disappearing around the hedgerows. When Cooke attacked from the break, it was the signal for Curran and Norton to counter-attack downhill. Cooke chased hard but finished three seconds down on Curran who outsprinted Norton to win the race.
1. PAUL CURRAN (Manchester Wh-Trumanns Steel) 70m
2. D. Norton (Paragon RT) st
3. A. Cooke (Chesterfield Coureurs) at 3 sec
4. M. Young (Chesterfield Coureurs) at 30 sec
5. C. Young (Paragon RT) st
6. G. Firth (Houghton CC) at 1-30
7. G. Proud (Featherstone RC)
8. P. Blackett (Tyne Electric)
9. C. Greaves (Whitby Endeavour CC)
10. A. Durham (CV Cruz)