Rugby Velo Twin-Town Road Race
OPTIMUM Performance RT team-mates Paul Curran and Wayne Randle showed no respect for age as they worked a classic one-two on Geoff Platts (Coalville Wh) to decide the 84-mile Twin Town road race at Baginton, near Coventry, on Sunday.
After a 15-man pile-up on the opening lap of the Bubbenhall circuit, covered 11 times, a group of 13 riders went clear at the 18-mile mark and - apart from a couple of punctures - stayed undisturbed until the bell when the big three broke away.
Veteran Platts covered his rivals for as long as he could, but eventually Curran made the break for home and Randle discouraged any chase before taking the sprint for second place, 27 seconds down on the winner.
The rest of the break was led in by Phil Wilkins (Ashfield RC), just over a minute down.
1. Paul Curran (Optimum Performance RT) 84m in 3-13-44
2. W. Randle (Optimum Performance RT) at 27 sec
3. G. Platts (Coalville Wh) at 29 sec
4. P. Wilkins (Ashfield RC) at 1-05
5. C. King (CC Giro)
6. N. Martin (Dinnington RC)
7. C. Langley (Team Energy)
8. J. Maher (Wrekinsport CC)
9. P. Spencer (Long Eaton CC)
10. P. Mason (Wrekinsport CC) all st.