|Mike Binks Memorial Road Race|
IN a repeat of his win a year earlier, Paul Curran (Dinnington RC-Neilson) rode away from the opposition to cross the line four minutes clear in this Cleveland Wheelers road race at Newby, North Yorkshire.
He left breakaway companion Pete Coggins (Selby CC) to salvage second place as Nigel Nicholson (Richmond and Darlington CC) jumped three other chasers on the last of seven laps.
Curran, Coggins, Ian Kay (Clayton Velo) and Duncan Moralee (Featherstone RC) had attacked inside the first two miles, opening up a near four-minute lead before first Kay and then Moralee lost contact.
As they came through the finish area with one 12-mile lap left Curran put in his decisive attack.
Moralee, meanwhile, had been picked up by Nicholson, Kevin Brennan (Maltby CC) and Tony McKenna (Middridge CRT).
1. Paul Curran (Dinnlngton RC) 89m in 3-32-00
2. P. Coggins (Selby CC) at 4-00
3. N. Nicholson (Richmond & Darlington CC) at 6-10
4. K. Brennan (Maltby CC) at 6-30
5. T. McKenna (Middridge CRT)
6. D. Moralee (Featherstone RC) all st
7. C. Newton (Middridge CRT) at 7-15
8. S. Avice (VC Craentan, France) at 8-00
9. D. Buckley (Maltby CC)
10. M. Smith (Middridge CRT) all st.