Knaresborough - Harrington Pickles 'Hilly'
Jon Walshaw (Manchester Wheelers-Trumanns) stormed to a great victory when he beat his international team-mate Paul Curran by three minutes in Knaresborough CC's Harrington Pickles hilly time trial in Yorkshire on Sunday.
However, Curran finished covered in blood from a nose bleed.
Walshaw covered the 29½ miles over three climbs in 1-13-59. Curran, who had been up on Walshaw at around eight miles, finished in 1-17-4, while third-placed Kevin Warr (Seacroft Wheelers) did 1-17-46 to confirm his return to form after an 18-month lay-off following an accident.
The new course climbed the mile-long drag of Scarah Bank at six miles, followed by the tough one, 1-in-5 quarter-mile-long Sowley Bank three miles later. At 14 miles the riders tackled Fell Beck before tracing an undulating course back to the Knaresborough finish.
Knaresborough CC won the team prize and their Phillip Brighton, 16, the West Yorkshire circuit champion, was the fastest junior in 1-25-3.
1. Jon Walshaw (Manchester Wh-Trumanns) 1 13 59
2. P. Curran (Manchester Wh) 1 17 4
3. K. Warr (Seacroft Wh) 1 17 46
4. N. Butler (Selby CC) 1 18 30
5. S. Vaughan (Knaresboro' CC) 1 19 15
6. S. Ackroyd (E Bradford CC) 1 19 22
7. C. Hill (Knaresboro' CC) 1 20 30
8. R. Wilson (Knaresboro' CC) 1 20 43
9. M. Ellerton (Burnley Sportiv) 1 20 59
10. J. Surtees (Knaresboro' CC) 1 21 20
Juniors. - P. Brighton (Knaresboro' CC) 1-25-3
Vets. - Ackroyd.
Team. - Knaresborough CC (Vaughan, Hill, Wilson) 4-0-28.